Graduated from Ontario Veterinary College in spring of 1914, and accepted a position to practice in Calgary in early summer. There he met and married his wife Marion. Served in Alberta (both in the city and rural)from 1914 until 1919, and then accepted a position in Winnipeg with the Federal Department of Agriculture, Health of Animals branch, and served there from April 1, 1919 to May 15, 1924. He then transferred back to Calgary in contagious diseases control and eradication in livestock, and served there until his retirement in 1954.
In the 1921 census, he, his wife, and his son John were living at 145 Luxton in Winnipeg, Manitoba. He is listed as an inspector, abbatoir (which is a word for “slaughterhouse”).